Wednesday 12 May 2010

TEEN: Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy 3) - Richelle Mead

BOOK BLURB:

It's springtime at St. Vladimir's Academy and Rose is close to graduation, but since making her first Strigoi kills, things haven't felt quite right. She's having dark thoughts, behaving erratically, and worst of all ...might be seeing ghosts. Consumed by her forbidden love with her tutor Dimitri and protecting her best friend, the Moroi princess Lissa, Rose is in no state to see the deadly threat that will change her entire world - and make her choose between the two people she loves most.


REVIEW:

As a fan of Richelle’s Succubus series I quite enjoyed the first offering in her Vampire Academy series however I did feel that the emotional context and way in which the protagonista is acting in her relationships is inappropriate for her age group. Whilst a number of her fans may feel that the relationship is fine I wasn’t happy and as such felt that it ruined the title for me as the character felt more like a person acting on the spoilt brat emotional level and really didn’t allow myself as a reader to fully engage or like her.

The series has its merits, for example its well planned, it has great dialogue but with emotional immaturity alongside a character I really couldn’t get a fix upon, I really felt that it’s a title best missed.

3 comments:

  1. I love this series. Yes, there are some issues with the ages of the love interests and such. However, considering how many YA paranormals deal with a 16 year old in love with a centuries old vampire, this one doesn't bother me at all.

    I like the emotional ups and downs of Rose through this book because I feel they're real for a teenage girl. But that could just be me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've breezed through the first chapter and I couldn't quite get a fix on the MC either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit worried with the first Vampire Academy book that Rose would turn to spoiled brat-isms throughout, but I actually thought it was the opposite. I think Rose really grows through the series and though she makes "mistakes", I think they are teenage-girl realistic. I'm a huge fan of this series now, and I even think I like it better than the Succubus books!

    ReplyDelete