Wednesday 3 November 2010

7+: Matilda - Roald Dahl

Release Date: 02/09/10

BOOK BLURB:

Matilda Wormwood is an extraordinary child with thoroughly ordinary and rather unpleasant parents, who are contemptuous of their daughter's prodigious talents. But underestimating Matilda proves to be a huge mistake, as they, along with her vile headmistress Miss Trunchbull, are soon to discover...


REVIEW:

OK, so this title by a firm children’s favourite was a bit after my time but I have memories of my younger sister getting a lot of pleasure from this book. Due to this (and also having seen the film) I had high hope for this, my first reading of this Roald Dahl title and with the bonus of it being reprinted in Hardback it seems the publishers think that you’ll get a lot out of it as well. So what did I get for my time?

What occurs within is a story that is brought together with the usual Dahl magic. You get wonderful story telling that seems almost effortless, you get great characters, devilishly evil villains and the message that brains, courage and justice prevail.

Add to the mix a great story, some truly memorable magic and a feisty heroine and you know that it’s got all the ingredients for a magical reading experience that demonstrates that even 20 years after his death, why Dahl is a master to set standards by.

No comments:

Post a Comment