Friday 15 July 2011

TEEN: Tempest Rising - Tracy Deeb

Release Date: 04/07/11

BOOK BLURB:

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home, continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark, and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kona, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an other-worldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her - and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.


REVIEW:

To be honest with you I put off reading this title for a while purely for the fact that I thought it probably wasn’t for me, hoping that one of my female reviewers would pick it up and give it a go. (Alas Lady Eleanor decided that there were plenty of other “fish” that took her fancy more so left it to me.)

What surprised me was that whilst I expected this to be a Teen Chick Flick type of title I was surprised at how rounded it was, at how the character had to try to adapt her duel nature (often unsuccessfully) as she negotiated not only our own world but the hidden mysteries of the sea that call to her with their own siren song. Its beautifully written, the character nicely rounded and all in whilst in places it did come over as a little simplistic it’s the interactions as well as revelations which, when backed with a decent plot line really keep the title afloat.

All in, whilst I was surprised at my enjoyment, its definitely made sure that I’ll look into others by this author, even if the book back doesn’t sell itself which only goes to show that below the surface some titles really do run deep and strike a chord with a reader on so many levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment