Saturday 11 August 2012

10+: Snow White and the Huntsman - Lily Blake, Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock, Hossein Amini

Release Date: 28/06/12  
BOOK BLURB:  
'Zoey, what is is?' Stark said softly. I didn't answer Stark. Instead I faced Neferet. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear the buzz and whispers of the kids around me, and I knew forcing a confrontation with Neferet here and now wasn't smart. But I couldn't stop myself...Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet - which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans threatens their precarious stability. And then there's the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous boy who is actually more - or possibly less - than human. Only Zoey can sense the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. Will Neferet's true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox's humanity in time to protect him - and everyone - from his own fate?  

REVIEW:  
When a book comes out associated with a film it can usually go one of two ways, either its way superior or as is most often the case, it fails miserably. Sadly this book falls into the later category for a number of reasons. Firstly the book feels rushed and doesn’t allow the reader to get to know the characters within and whilst I haven’t seen the film it also feels that there is a lot left unsaid in order to keep the tale a little too linear. The book suffers for this as for me it left the characters feeling more 2d than fully rounded relying more on the stereotypes that the readers have in their mind from the fairy tales of yesteryear. Add to this a convoluted winding path and a real rush to get to the end which overall left me feeling cheated by the final page. With luck, a viewing of the film may clear up a lot of these feelings but I really don’t think that this is one of the better conversions and perhaps should have been left alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment